Sunday, December 25, 2011

Clothes Make the Woman

I'm writing this post wearing my favourite polo shirt that I  bought eight years ago. It is no longer in the shape so that I can wear it outside and can only be worn inside the house disregarding the wife's exasperation at the holes on the sides. Though, the colour of which is grey, I'm more enamoured by the stitches and by my own reckoning its fit  worthiness to my rolling gait. But the purpose of the post is not to discuss feeling comfortable in my second skin.

I have always struggled to find clothes that I felt comfortable wearing. Now the problem is compounded from the fact that I need to buy clothes for my daughter. And I find most female clothes are sexist. Or to be precise, in my view, feminine clothes are sexist in general.

Let me explain my position very clearly. It is actually very simple and straightforward. A man's body is basic and woman's body is deviation. Generally, male clothes don't have penis pouch thus all clothes made for man are unisex clothes or there is no masculine clothes. Therefore, if a female wears male clothes, she is just conforming to her basic human body standards. But vice versa is not true. A man wearing feminine clothes basically endorses the sexist tradition that came up with the idea of feminine clothes. So, theoretically, females wearing feminine clothes are unacceptable but that is even more true for males.

With this background, when I shop clothes for my daughter, I feel nauseated seeing miniaturized versions of feminine clothes designed for deviated females. Evidently, I  prefer to buy unisex clothes (sometimes marketed as boys' clothes) for her. I should say that I make absolutely no error in judgement with regards to sexism. In fact, my opening of this post is a supporting point in that direction.

As I said, my favourite was a polo shirt. For the last seven years I'm searching for a similar shirt without any success. I discuss with my colleagues that I'm searching for a polo shirt with V-neck, hands stitched with angle cut, texture is machine knitted but little coarse,and with vertical stripes. But one of my female colleagues goes like, "I never thought that males think so much about clothes; that's a female domain". A male colleague pitches in, "V-neck is only for females". Those words give credibility to my thoughts in a way endorsing that they are naturally anti-sexist. I believe we should ban feminine clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment